Wednesday, October 22, 2008

WHEN DEATH LEAVES A VOID

Hello Friends, I'm currently working on a sermon that I hope to deliver on Sunday at a pastor friend of mine's church. The reference passage of scripture for this sermon is taken from Luke 24:13-36, dealing with the two disciples on the road to Emmaus. For informational purposes the sermon is entitled "Renewed Faith." It had been a while since I read this passage so to familiarize myself once again with the text, I re-read it.

What immediately stood out to me was the hurt, the despair, the confusion, the hopelessness, and the void that these two disciples expressed as the travelled the seven miles to Emmaus, talking with a "stranger."This struck a nerve with me, having just buried a childhood friend, whom I had known for some 38 years. This also made me reflect upon the many deaths that I have experienced these past eight years. I've lost a brother, an uncle (my dad's only sibling), my mother, my father, a nephew (who was raised with me like a little brother), and a grandmother ( who by the way lived to be 110 years old).

All of these deaths have left an unfillable void within me. Although God has given me the strength, and the perseverance to go on, something is missing in my life. And I've come to discover that it's not so much the person that you miss. Although, I miss my loved ones terribly, and there is a constant ache inside of me. But, when a person dies what you really miss is the relationship. The bond of friendship, and companionship that you shared with the person.

And, I believe that this is what Cleophas, and the other disciple were missing about Jesus. His death left a void not only in these two men, but in all the disciples. And, I think it was this over-bearing grief that blocked out the words that Christ had spoken to them during the course of his life, and his ministry. And just like it was with these men, I believe that the same thing often happens with us believers. Human hope is a fragile thing, and when it withers it’s often difficult to revive. Death packs a wallop, and when it hits us, it often knocks the wind out us. To the point that we often don't have the strength, or the mental toughness to press on.

These two men no doubt were hurting, and disappointed which is evidenced by the fact that they were returning to Emmaus. Interestingly, enough that word Emmaus in greek means obscure which means difficult to understand. And very often death is not easy for us to understand, and oftentimes the lose of a person leaves us with this void. And if I can be honest with you, this void as you come to discover, cannot be filled by anything, or anyone else but Jesus. For, it was Jesus that made the difference, and filled the void in these two disciples lives. And the question that I leave on the floor for all to ponder is, "Won't you let Jesus fill the void in your life today?"

1 comment:

Clinton Smith said...

Great post, Dr Rev! Only God can fill the void! I will keep that in my mental devotional capacity.